The Work of a Deacon is to serve the church.
- Reverent, Respectful (1 Tim 3:8) — a deacon serves in the ministry of Christ. Humility is necessary.
- Not Doubletongued (1 Tim 3:8) — able to be truthful in all their activities. They're a consistent person wherever they are.
- Not Given to Much Wine (1 Tim 3:8) — disciplined in his personal life (i.e. alcohol). God commands kings and princes to abstain (leaders), wine is for the sick (Prov 31).
- Not Greedy for Dishonest Gain (1 Tim 3:8) — not seeking gain. Their priority must be service.
- Hold the Mystery of Faith with a Clear Conscience (1 Tim 3:9) — able to hold onto the faith without compromise.
- Tested and Found Blameless (1 Tim 3:10) — they will be examined and held accountable.
- Wife Reverent, Not a Gossiper/Slanderer, Self-Controlled, and Faithful (1 Tim 3:11)
- Husband of One Wife (1 Tim 3:12)
- Ruling/Managing His House Well (1 Tim 3:12) — wife and children respect and honor him.