- John 19:1-42 is the Greatest Love Story ever told. It tells of God’s Love for us and Christ’s willingness to die for our sins.
- Behold the Man. We see four things.
Behold the Man
- The Crown (John 19:1-5)
- The Cry (19:6)
- The Crisis (19:7; 8-22)
- The Cross
Crucifixion of Jesus
- The picture of Calvary is one of death and suffering.
- The crucifixion means different things to different people.
- To the Jews and Romans = execution.
- To the unbeliever = foolishness (1 Cor 1:18)
- To the believer (1 Cor 2:1-4)
- What do you see when you “Survey the Cross”?
When I Survey the Cross, I see...
1. The Value God Places Upon the Soul is Man
- Look at the Lord in Gethsemane.
- Look at the Lord as he stood before Pilate.
- Look at the Lord carrying the heavy cross to Calvary.
2. The Darkness and the Inhumanity of Man Toward His Fellowman
- 1 Peter 2:22; John 15:25
- The absolute need for Hell
- The penalty of sin
3. Love of God and Love of Christ
- Romans 5:8-9; 1 John 4:9; John 3:16
- No one took His life... He gave it!
- 12 legions of angels
4. The Value God Places on the Church
- Acts 20:28; Ephesians 5:25
- What are we doing when we say hurtful things to a Christian?
5. The Great Challenges in My Life
- Forgive... love others... prepare to die.
6. Hope Offered for the First Time
- Hebrews 10:1-12; Ephesians 2:12; 12-13; Colossians 1:27-28; Galatians 3:27
7. A Cross for Me
- Luke 9:23; 1 Corinthians 15:31; Galatians 2:20
Behold the Man
Must Jesus bear the cross alone... no, there is a cross for me.